Proposed Program Agenda 1979-81
- Campaign Spending and Finance - support effective campaign spending controls, limitations on contributions and expenditures, and indirect public funding of campaigns.
- Collective Bargaining - support measures to open the collective bargaining process to the public sector for citizen participation and review.
- Initiative and Referendum - support direct initiative for statute law and petition referendum to give citizens the right to affirm or overturn laws passed by the legislature.
- Land Use - support comprehensive planning as the basis of land use decisions, public input into the planning
process, a device to insure coordination and cooperation between state and county planning, and controls for conservation districts.
- Schools - support the public's rights and interests concerning the administration, policy setting, and budget making for the statewide K-12 system. Support equal financing and equal educational opportunities for each child.
- Legislative Reform - support a parttime citizen legislature
whose structure will insure responsiveness, openness, and efficiency in government. We favor
a part-time legislature meeting in a split session with a procedure which would eliminate the duplication of bills and limit the number of bills introduced.
- Energy - support public education to promote energy conservation. Support research into alternate resources available in Hawaii. Consideration should be given to environmental effects, economic feasibility, and differing conditions on each island.
- Solid Waste - support recycling and resource recovery by private industry and cooperation and support from government.
Hawaii Juvenile Justice System for Criminal Offenders - study of the key components of the system - police, prosecutor, public defender, Family Court, public and private social service agencies, correctional institutions - and the kind of impact their legal bases, purposes, statewide structure, procedures, and practices have on both the juvenile offenders and the community at large.
Primary Election Process - our intended focus, the political parties and the elections was changed by the Constitutional Convention and ratification of the amendment providing for secrecy of party preference.